Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Power Macintosh G5 Arcana

My Power Macintosh G5, with two 2.0GHz processors and 1.5GB of RAM does just about everything I ask - quickly.

I decided to see what the thermal impact of all this hard work might be - how much can a G5 warm up extremely dry (5-10% rH) air while working really hard?

Processor settings:


Processor 1: On
Processor 2: On
Nap mode: Off
Processor performance: Highest
Processor load: Between 80-90% utilization for each processor.

Inlet air temp: 67.5 degrees F.
Exhaust air temp: (Average of two exhaust grilles for processor section) 94.7 degrees F.


What if I disable a processor?

Processor 1: On
Processor 2: Off
Nap mode: Off
Processor performance: Highest
Processor load: Between 80-90% utilization.

Inlet air temp: 67.5 degrees F.
Exhaust air temp: (Average of two exhaust grilles for processor section) 91.2 degrees F.


I guess I should go take a walk outside or something. A post like this is a sure sign I've been inside too long today.

Labels: